FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHO CAN APPLY FOR AN AWARD?
All independent schools which are school members of one of the membership associations of the Independent Schools Council* are invited to seek nomination for one or more of the awards.
CAN MY SCHOOL APPLY FOR MORE THAN ONE AWARD?
Yes. Schools are invited to apply for any award for which they are eligible and where they believe they have a compelling story to tell.
ARE THE AWARD CRITERIA OPEN TO INTERPRETATION?
Yes. We are keen for you to tell us why us why your story means you should win a particular award rather than us telling you exactly what we are looking for.
HOW WILL THE AWARDS BE JUDGED?
The Chair and Vice Chair of the judging panel, together with Independent School Parent editors, will study every entry received and create a shortlist. The full entry from each shortlisted school will be supplied to all the judges who will meet to choose the winners.
WILL SCHOOLS BE TOLD THEY HAVE BEEN SHORTLISTED?
Yes. We plan to tell schools they have been shortlisted during the week commencing Monday 24th September.
WHAT SORT OF EVIDENCE DO I NEED TO PROVIDE TO SUPPORT AN APPLICATION AND HOW SHOULD I SUBMIT IT?
Supporting evidence could take the form of photos, video content, evaluations, testimonials, newspaper cuttings and inspection reports, etc. Schools are asked to submit their written submissions, photographs and videos using the online forms provided. Any additional supplementary information may be sent by post to: Independent Schools of the Year, c/o The Chelsea Magazine Company, Jubilee House, 2 Jubilee Place, London, SW3 3TQ.
WILL THERE BE PUBLICITY ABOUT THE WINNERS?
Yes. In early 2019 Independent School Parent plan to put the stories of the winning schools at the heart of a positive media story, which celebrates the successes of the independent school sector. Schools need to tell us if they do not seek publicity of this nature and do not want us to use their stories when they submit their applications.
CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION ON THE AWARDS AND ADVICE ON HOW TO APPLY?
Yes. If you have any queries or concerns please email us at email@example.com
TIMELINE FOR AWARDS
24th May 2018 Nominations open
14th September 2018 Nominations close
24th September 2018 Shortlist announced
December 2018 Judging Panel meets to select winners and commended schools. Winners announced
- Independent Pre-Prep School of the Year
- Independent Prep School of the Year
- Co-educational Independent School of the Year
- Independent Girls’ School of the Year
- Independent Boys’ School of the Year
- Independent Boarding School of the Year
- British International School of the Year
- Independent School of the Year for Sporting Achievement
- Independent School of the Year for the Performing Arts (music & drama)
- Independent School of the Year for Video Production
- Independent School of the Year for Student Careers Programme
- Independent School of the Year for Community Outreach
- Independent School of the Year for Contribution to Social Mobility
- Independent School of the Year for International Student Experience
- Independent School of the Year for Healthy Eating
- The Green Award for Environmental Achievement
- Independent School of the Year
Chosen by the judges from amongst the winners of the other categories (excluding the Rising Star of the Year).
- The Rising Star of the Year
Individual student award for outstanding personal success. Nominated by schools, the winner of the Rising Star award will be decided by Independent School Parent magazine’s editorial and publishing team.
* Any British International School which is a member of COBIS is eligible to apply for the British International School Award.